UTAG - Utah Association of Geocachers helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

A couple of weeks back I downloaded the new Groundspeak geocaching app for Android. It occurred to me yesterday how it has changed how I cache. I've only used my Garmin once since then, plus I have found my self caching more frequently and not using PQs as much. I also noticed that when I first used it, I started logged my finds in the field and gave some lame 'TFTC-type' logs. Now I just send in the field notes and I end up logging them at home. Since it's not as accurate as my Garmin, sometimes my searches take slightly longer, but having satellite imagery has helped on some caches.
Last update on December 31, 4:00 pm by 1624.
I am really liking mine...the new update came out and i am liking it more and more.
Last update on December 31, 4:00 pm by 2279.
What a lovely day for a cache.
The thing I like most about this Android app is that it allows me to go geocaching on the fly at times when I don't have my Garmin with me.
Still getting used to using my Droid 2 as a GPSr.
Last update on December 31, 4:00 pm by 1051.
Remember...Only YOU can prevent forest fires.

I too just recently tried the groundspeak app. It's fantastic for instant caching where there is good cell service. I did learn that if you are going to be on the edge of cell service, save the cache info first. It's maddening to know you are in the area of a cache, but you can't get the info to find it. It worked well for a family trip where there wasn't a lot of time to plan the caching ahead. I was on an iOS device.

The app has a few ticks that bug me but I work around them. I like the fact that I can upload pics right from my phone on to the cache page. Also the new trackables logging is fantastic. I also like the Geocaching Challenges App too and am glad that it is a separate app. the c:geo opensource app for android is a great partner for the GS app and what I dont get from one I get from the other. Has anyone tried the new android Neongeo app?

All Aboard!

I just Downloaded the windows going to see how it works.

I have been using C:Geo on my Android. It is free and now can upload photoes as well. I have to work on a budget and the official app was too much for my blood.

With C:Geo, you can also save caches. But geocaching out of cell service is still difficult as you can loose your maps as well. C:Geo works wih offline maps as well so if you know how to do that, you are one step ahead of me Smile

I find that I use the phone more for urban caching with the hand held GPS as back up in case I don't find it within a few min.

Indy-bikes

indy-bikes said...

I have been using C:Geo on my Android. It is free and now can upload photoes as well. I have to work on a budget and the official app was too much for my blood.

With C:Geo, you can also save caches. But geocaching out of cell service is still difficult as you can loose your maps as well. C:Geo works wih offline maps as well so if you know how to do that, you are one step ahead of me Smile

I find that I use the phone more for urban caching with the hand held GPS as back up in case I don't find it within a few min.

Thanks I will give it a try